Here’s what you need to know about wearing flat caps like the Peaky Blinders
In Peaky Blinders hat fashion, the newsboy cap is the flat cap of choice. Designed with a larger crown, it features a button in the center and a slightly longer brim. However, the popularity of the television show has resulted in flat caps of all varieties having a rebirth in popular fashion trends. If you want to wear a flat cap and feel like you’re Thomas Shelby’s long-lost cousin, then here's how to do it in style.
How to wear a flat cap
This type of cap blends with both casual everyday looks and chic looks. Wearing and styling are easier than you think.
- Wear the right cap for the Season – While linen and lightweight cotton are perfect for spring and summer, tweed and heavier cotton are ideal for the winter months.
- Choose the right patterns – Thinking of wearing a patterned flat cap? Then check that it complements the other patterns that you are wearing. Consider your cap as an accessory and not as an afterthought you plonk on your head before heading towards the door.
- Stick to the classics – Always bear in mind that natural materials will give you better insulation and breathability. Stick to the originals – wool (tweed) or linen and cotton
- Carry It Correct – Even if your favorite jam from “back in the day” is playing in the background, wear your flat cap in the right direction and not in the 90s backward style. Though your look should be completely your own, just take it as a friendly recommendation. After all, you never saw any of the Peaky Blinders doing it, so why would you?
- Keep It Simple – There’s a fine line between a classic look and someone who looks like they have stepped back in time. So try not to combine too many old-fashioned accessories in one look.
Shop the full collection of Men’s accessories here.