Apple and Blueberry Shortcrust Pie
For the pastry
2 oz plain flour
Pinch of salt
110g butter cubed
5-6 tbsp cold water
For the filling
100g caster sugar
½ lemon zest and juice
550g cooking apples
½ tsp ground cinnamon
150g Blueberries (fresh or frozen)
1 egg lightly beaten
1. Put flour and salt in a large bowl and add the butter cubes. Use your fingertips to rub the butter into the flour until the mixture resembles coarse breadcrumbs.
2. Add just enough butter to bind the dough together. Wrap in clingfilm and chill for 10-15 minutes.
3. Peel, core and slice the apples and mix with the sugar and lemon.
4. Heat a pan over medium heat. Add the apples, butter and cinnamon and stew for 3-4 minutes. Remove from heat and add the blueberries. Leave to cool.
5. Roll out 2-3 of the pastry on a floured surface and line a 22cm ovenproof dish. Fill with the cooled apple mixture. Roll out the remaining pastry and cut into 1,5cm strips. Place on top of apples, creating a lattice effect. Brush the top of the pastry with the beaten egg and dredge with sugar.
6. Place in preheated oven at 180℃ for 15-20 minutes until fruit is tender and top is golden.
7. Slather with freshly whipped cream or creamy custard and enjoy!